26 Sep 2020
9 Causes of night sweats
Night sweats tend to be an annoying medical issue that mainly causes insomnia and sleeping disorders. On the other side, night sweats could be an indication for many health problems. Anyway, significant causes of night sweats include the following:
- Menopause: hot flushes and night sweats are the most common manifestations of menopause in women, which develop due to decrease of estrogen level.
- Infections: on exposure to infection, the body thermo-regulation mechanism is usually affected, leading to fever and night sweats.
- Medications: night sweats may develop on administration of certain drugs, such as; antidepressants, hormonal therapy of some types of cancer and diabetes medications.
- Hormonal disturbances, especially diabetes mellitus and thyroid dysfunction.
- Psychological disorders, especially if associated with anxiety or stress.
- Night sweats are frequently seen in addict people who suffer from withdrawal symptoms.
- Patients with gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD), especially in cases of eating heavy or greasy meals immediately before bed time.
- Sleep disorders & obstructive sleep apnea.
- Autoimmune diseases.