5 Uncommon causes of obesity
Most people think that excessive calories is the only cause of obesity and weight gain, it's not true. When you experience weight gain although your life style includes daily exercise and healthy diet; this means that there are other factors that could be responsible for obesity.
- Lack of sleep: decreased hours of sleep or insomnia have a direct effect on increased levels of cortisol hormone, which in turn increases the rate of fat deposition in the body.
- Stress: many studies suggest that stress is responsible for decreased basal metabolic rate and enhancement of fat deposition, especially in abdomen and buttocks.
- Medications: mechanism of action or adverse effects of certain drugs may include lipogenesis or increased appetite, which leads to obesity. These drugs include; oral contraceptive pills, cortisones, migraine and diabetes medications.
- Menopause: it's mainly manifested with cessation of menstruation as well as some hormonal body changes such as decreased metabolic rate and increased fat deposition. All of these mentioned factors predispose to weight gain and obesity.
- Medical conditions: disturbed thyroxin level caused by thyroid gland disorders may be manifested with marked obesity.